Butternut and Leek Bisque
- Yield 4 servings
Butternut squash and leeks star in this tasty bisque with a beautiful presentation.
- 2 pounds butternut squash, cut into halves
- 2 large leeks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small apple, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 -- (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or milk
- Prick squash with fork. Place cut side down in baking pan. Bake at 400F for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool. Scrape pulp into bowl.
- Trim leeks, leaving 2-inches of green; chop.
- Saute leeks in oil in saucepan over medium heat for 8 minutes. Stir in squash, apple, water, broth and seasonings.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Process in several batches in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Bring bisque to a simmer in saucepan just before serving. Stir in half-and-half. Simmer just until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’sThe Best of Wheeling (Wheeling, West Virginia, 1994).