Buttermilk Pound Cake with Citrus Glaze
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 1/2cups Crisco
- 2 1/2cups sugar
- 4-- eggs
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1/2teaspoon soda (dissolved in 1 tablespoon water)
- 1tablespoon lemon flavoring
- 3 1/2cups flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- -- Juice and rind of 2 lemons
- -- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- For the cake: Cream Crisco and sugar. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, soda and flavoring. Add flour and salt last. Beat until fluffy. Bake in a greased and floured tube pan in a 300F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- For the glaze: Dissolve, but do not boil. Let cake stand 10 minutes after taking from oven. Then spoon glaze over top and sides of cake.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Morgan County’s Cotton Country Cooking(Decatur, Ala., Junior Service League, 1972).