Buttermilk Pound Cake with Citrus Glaze
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
A simple and delicious pound cake topped with a lemon and orange glaze.
- 1 1/2 cups Crisco
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 -- eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon soda (dissolved in 1 tablespoon water)
- 1 tablespoon lemon flavoring
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Juice and rind of 2 lemons
- -- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- For the cake: Cream Crisco and sugar. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, soda and flavoring. Add flour and salt last. Beat until fluffy. Bake in a greased and floured tube pan in a 300F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- For the glaze: Dissolve, but do not boil. Let cake stand 10 minutes after taking from oven. Then spoon glaze over top and sides of cake.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Morgan County’s Cotton Country Cooking(Decatur, Ala., Junior Service League, 1972).