Buttermilk Pie with Nutmeg
- Yield 8 servings
This traditional Southern pie is very sweet.
"Growing up on a farm in the Texas panhandle, we had freshly churned butter and buttermilk weekly. My mom would make a Buttermilk Pie often. We could always look forward to having it for Father's Day, because it was my father's favorite."
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine butter, sugar, flour, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl; whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
Recipe by Kaye Ray, Borger, Texas