Buttermilk Pecan Pie from Pearson Farm
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 60 mins
Buttermilk offers a tangy counterpoint to the pie's sweetness.
- Pie Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 to 3 1/2 tablespoons ice water
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pecan pieces (or chopped pecans)
- 1 unbaked 10-inch pie crust
- To prepare the crust, combine flour and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle surface with ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly. Press mixture gently into a 5-inch circle; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 15 minutes.
- Flour dough lightly. Roll into circle between sheets of waxed paper on dampened countertop. Peel off top sheet. Flip into pie plate. Remove other sheet and press pastry to fit. Fold edge under. Flute.
- Preheat to 275F.
- To prepare the filling, beat eggs with a whisk. Add sugar and flour; beat well. Add melted butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir well.
- Sprinkle pecan pieces evenly into the pie crust; pour in egg mixture.
- Bake about 1 hour or until golden brown and set.
Recipe courtesy of Pearson Farm, Fort Valley, Ga.