Buttermilk Herb Biscuits
- Yield 32 pieces
A welcome complement to any dinner.
- 5 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried celery leaves, crumbled, hard stalks removed
- 1 teaspoon chopped freeze-dried chives
- 2 teaspoons chervil
- 2 teaspoons herbs de Provence
- 2 teaspoons crushed thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons parsley leaves
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add herbs; mixing well to distribute evenly. Dissolve yeast in warm water; stir into buttermilk. Add liquid to dry ingredients, stirring well until blended. On floured surface knead just enough to hold dough together. Roll out 1/2-inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter. Place on greased baking sheet; cover and let rise 1 hour. Bake at 450F for 10 minutes.
- For freezing, bake only 5 minutes; cool and freeze. When ready to serve, place on greased baking sheet and bake at 450F for about 8 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League Springfield Publication’s Honest to Goodness (Springfield, Illinois, 1990).