Butter Roasted Mushroom Sandwich
- Yield 2 servings
You won't miss the meat in these hearty and delicious mushroom sandwiches.
- 3 1/2 ounces fresh chevre
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- Grated zest from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 3 ounces crimini, cleaned and trimmed, cut in halves or quartered, depending on size
- 3 ounces king oyster mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed, sliced lengthwise
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed, torn into rough pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (about 3 sprigs worth, picked from their stems)
- 2 medium buns, split
- 1/2 cup loosely packed arugula leaves
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more for drizzling
- In a small bowl, combine the chevre, 6 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley, chives and lemon zest. Mix lightly. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Once butter has bubbled, sprinkle in the dried chili, increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms. Cook 2 minutes, stirring often, then add the shallots and season with salt and pepper. Continue to sauté until the mushrooms are well browned and most of their moisture has evaporated, around 6 minutes more. Remove from the heat, check for seasoning, and stir in the thyme. Set aside.
- Divide chevre mixture over the bottom halves of the buns. Sprinkle reserved Parmesan over top, then place the open sandwiches (both the cheese sides and plain sides) under a hot broiler until the cheese is golden and the bread is toasted.
- Meanwhile, toss the arugula with olive oil, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- When the sandwiches are ready, pile half the mushrooms on one cheese toast. Drizzle over a few drops of olive oil and lemon juice, if desired. Top with arugula and top piece of bread, pressing down lightly. Repeat with the second sandwich. Eat immediately.