Butter Pecan Cake
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
- To prepare cake, beat butter in mixer bowl on high speed. Add sugar, beat well. Add egg yolks, beating after each addition. Combine flour and baking soda; add alternately with buttermilk until blended. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites in mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Stir one-fourth egg whites into batter. Gently fold remaining egg whites into batter. Pour batter into cake pans and bake 20 to 30 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- To prepare icing, beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes). Add sugar and vanilla; beat 1 minute longer. Place icing in refrigerator to chill about 15 minutes (or longer) if icing is too soft. Ice cake.