Butter Macaroon Cookies
- Yield: 40 pieces
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, chopped and softened
- 1 1/4cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 3/4cups unbleached bread flour
- 1-- egg
- 1/8teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2cup coarsely chopped almonds or hazelnuts
- 1/2cup raisins
- Cream the butter and confectioners' sugar in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the flour, egg and baking soda and mix well. Add the almonds and raisins and mix well with a spoon.
- Divide the dough into two portions and shape each portion into a roll 1-inch in diameter. Cut each roll into 3/4-inch pieces. Arrange the pieces on two 12×17-inch cookie sheets lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Press lightly to flatten.
- Place on the center oven rack and bake at 450F for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Serve with a glass of sweet sherry. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Stig Hansen’s Cooking Danish, A Taste of Denmark (Eden, Utah, 2007).