Bursting with Berries Lemony Lavender Shortcakes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2cups all purpose flour
- 1/4cup granulated sugar
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1teaspoon 1 teaspoon crushed culinary lavender
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pats
- 1-1/4cup buttermilk
- 1cup plus 2 T. heavy cream
- 2tablespoons turbinado sugar(raw sugar)
- 1/3cup good quality jarred lemon curd
- 2tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-1/2cup each Washington state grown red raspberries and blackberries
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- For shortcakes- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt;; whisk in lemon peel and lavender. Cut butter in with pastry cutter until coarse crumbs form. Gradually add butter milk tossing with fork until mixture is moistened. Gather dough together faltten dough on floured work surface to 3/4 inch thick round. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out rounds, gather dough scraps and flatten once again into a 3/4-inch round; cut out additional rounds for a total of 8. Transfer rounds onto prepared sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk the 2 tablespoons cream with turbinado sugar, brush all over tops of shortcakes. Place baking sheet in center of oven and bake until tops begin to brown about 25 minutes. Cool shortcakes on wire rack.
- In medium bowl beat with mixer on medium-high speed remaining 1 cup cream, lemon curd, and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Place raspberries and blackberries in medium bowl, drizzle lemon juice over and toss to coat.
- To serve split each shortcake in half horizontally, place bottom halves onto each of 8 dessert plate and divide berries on next. Add a generous amount of whipped cream to each and add shortcake tops.