Burnt Sugar Ice Cream
- Yield: servings
- 1 1/2-- sugar
- 1/2cup boiling water
- 1 1/2cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2-- 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 4tablespoons flour
- 4-- eggs
- 3cups heavy cream
- 1/2cup finely chopped toasted almonds
- Place 3/4 cup sugar in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until brown and smooth. Carefully add 1/2 cup boiling water and stir.
- Pour milks into the top of a double boiler or bowl set over a pot of simmering water and heat until warm.
- Mix remaining 3/4 cup sugar and flour. Add enough warm milk to make a smooth paste. Pour paste into double boiler. Add sugar mixture and cook until all sugar has dissolved. Stir until thickened, then cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs slightly. Stir into milk mixture very slowly. Cook 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate until completely cool. Add heavy cream and vanilla. Freeze in a large crank freezer until difficult to turn. Stir in toasted almonds.
—Recipe by Abby Vorhaus, courtesy of Miss Martha's Ice Cream Crankin', Nashville, Tenn.