Burgundy Braised Chicken
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 225 mins
Like the classic beef dish, but with chicken instead.
- 8 pounds chicken pieces-breasts, thighs and drumsticks
- 5 cups red wine
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- The day before cooking the dish, place chicken in a shallow container in a single layer. Pour wine over and add sliced garlic. Cover and refrigerate to let marinate overnight.
- Cook the bacon in a sauté pan until crispy. Remove bacon to a plate lined with paper towels, leaving rendered fat in pan.
- Add mushrooms to pan and sauté until lightly golden brown. Add onions and continue to sauté until they are well caramelized. Reduce the heat to low and melt in butter and then incorporate flour. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, then season and remove from heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, and dust skin sides lightly with flour. Sauté the pieces of chicken, skin side down, until golden brown and then add to the Crock-Pot slow cooker.
- Add red wine marinade to a saucepot and slowly bring to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes, skimming sway impurities that rise to the top. Add chicken broth and onion and mushroom mixture and heat through. Adjust seasonings and then pour over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook on High for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature setting to Low and continue to cook for 3 more hours.
- Serve with sauce and garnish with the crisp bacon and parsley.
Recipe by Tony Aiazzi, Charlie Palmer Restaurant Group. Courtesy of Crock-Pot.