Buffalo and Blue Cheese-Stuffed Button Mushrooms
- Yield 5 servings
Chopped mushrooms are sauteed in a hot and spicy blue cheese mixture then topped with breadcrumbs and baked to perfection.
- 20 button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 pound mild blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Frank's RedHot Sauce, plus more for serving
- 3/4 cup panko, divided
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F and place a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems. Cut ends from stems and chop finely. Chop two of the mushrooms finely as well. Melt butter in a heavy 4-quart pan and add shallots. Sauté over medium-low heat until transparent and then add chopped mushrooms and stems. Saute until softened and remove pan from heat. Stir in blue cheese, Frank’s sauce, and 1/2 cup panko. Stir until smooth.
- Grease a cookie sheet with olive oil. Brush mushroom caps with oil and spread out on cookie sheet. Fill each mushroom cap with a spoonful of the cheese stuffing, letting it mound just slightly on the top of the mushroom. Sprinkle the remaining panko over the top. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. If you have a broiler, turn it on for a minute or two to crisp up the top, but watch it carefully. Serve with additional hot sauce.