Chicken Brunswick Stew
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1-- (3-pound) chicken, cut up
- 2ounces salt pork
- 3-- (16-ounce) cans tomatoes, drained
- 2-- (16-ounce) cans cream style corn
- 2-- (16-ounce) cans lima beans, drained
- 2teaspoons salt
- -- Pepper to taste
- 1tablespoon tarragon
- 1teaspoon basil
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 2tablespoons vinegar
- -- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1-- (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- Rinse the chicken. Combine the chicken, salt pork and enough water to cover in a stockpot. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until the chicken is tender; drain, reserving stock. Discard the salt pork. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces; place in a stockpot. Add 2 cups of the reserved stock.
- Mash the drained tomatoes; add to the stock. Bring to a boil. Add corn, lima beans, salt, pepper, tarragon, basil, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar and Tabasco sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add additional reserved stock if needed.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Knoxville’s Dining in the Smoky Mountain Mist (The Junior League of Knoxville, Tenn, 1995).