Bruleed Squash with Pepitos
- Yield: servings
- 3 delicata squashes, cut into halves and seeded
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 2tablespoons basil, cut into long, thin strips
- 1/4cup pepitos (pumpkin seeds), roasted and salted
- 1/4cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the squash halves into slices so that they are in the shape of semi-circles and place in a single layer in oven-proof dishes. Brush with olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fill the dishes with about 1/4 inch of water, which shouldn’t cover the squash. Place in the oven and roast for about 30-40 minutes, or until the squash are tender.
- Remove the squash from the oven and set the oven temperature to broil.
- Sprinkle the tops of the squash slices with brown sugar. Place under the broiler for about 3-5 minutes or until the sugar melts and caramelizes.
- Layer the squash in a serving dish. Sprinkle with the pepitos and goat cheese on top. Finish the dish with the sliced basil and some fresh cracked pepper.
Note: Delicata squashes are striped, 5 to 10 inches long and 1 to 2 pounds. Feel free to substitute 4 to 6 pounds of your favorite squash if delicata are not available.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 195
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 7mg
- Sodium 60mg
- Potassium 1273mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 15g
- Protein 9g