Brownie Bottom Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Yield: servings
- For brownie crust:
- 3ounces semisweet chocolate
- 4tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/4cup almond milk
- 1/2teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- For filling:
- 1/2cup creamy salted natural peanut butter
- 1/3cup ripe mashed banana (about 1 medium-size banana)
- 1 (12-14 ounce) package silken tofu, drained
- 2/3cup sugar
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1tablespoon coconut oil
- 4teaspoons cornstarch
- 2teaspoons lemon juice
- 2teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Optional garnish:
- Any store-bought vegan whipped topping
- 3tablespoons chocolate chips or chopped peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate for 1 minute. Stir and return it to the microwave for 30-second increments until completely melted, stirring after each 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. Add the margarine and stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- Stir in the sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract, then sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until smooth. Use the rubber spatula to spread the batter in an even layer into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 8 minutes or until the top of the brownie looks puffed and crinkled, then move the pan to a cooling rack.
- In a blender, purée all of the filling ingredients until very smooth. Pour the filling on top of the brownie crust. Carefully lift the pan about half an inch above a wooden cutting board and quickly bang it a few times to help release any large air bubbles from the batter.
- Bake the cheesecake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is lightly puffed and the edges of the cake are golden. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 30 minutes. If garnishing with chocolate chips, press the chips in a decorative pattern on top of the hot cake. Move the cake to the fridge to complete cooling.
- Don’t even think about slicing this until the filling is absolutely cold, at least 4 hours or even better, overnight. Use a thin, sharp knife dipped in cold water to slice. Serve as is or garnish each slice with chopped peanuts, a dollop of store-bought vegan whipped topping, or chocolate shavings.
–From Vegan Pie in the Sky by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. Reprinted courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Books.