Brown Rice with Lemon, Chickpeas and Feta Cheese
- Yield 6 servings
Serve this savory rice over mixed greens or as a side dish. It also works well as a stuffing for pita bread.
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- pinch salt
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and diced or 1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Carefully measure rice, water and salt into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 10 minutes.
- Spread cooked rice on a baking pan to cool, about 45 minutes. Combine with all remaining ingredients. Rice can be cooked the day prior to making this dish, covered and refrigerated.