Brown Rice, Tomatoes and Basil Salad
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
A simple vinaigrette dresses brown rice and tomatoes.
This salad from Ina Garten is highly adaptable—feta cheese, olives, vegetables, shrimp or most anything can easily be tossed in. Make the salad ahead, but add the basil just before serving. Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten, photographs by Maura McEvoy (Potter, $35).
- 1 cup Texmati brown rice (American basmati rice)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, cut in large dice
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- Cook rice according to package directions until tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper; pour over rice, add tomatoes and mix gently. Before serving, add basil. Serve at room temperature.
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten, photographs by Maura McEvoy (Potter, $35).