Brown Rice Gratin with Zucchini, Leeks and Goat Cheese
- Yield 5 servings
A hearty brown rice casserole with goat cheese and rosemary is delicious in all its vegetarian glory.
When something is “gratin” or “au gratin.” it’s topped with breadcrumbs (and sometimes cheese) and browned.
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium (1 pound total) zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and light green parts
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Cook rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 10-inch round gratin dish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and leeks. Cook, mixing occasionally, 8 minutes or until squash is browned in spots and nearly tender. Lower heat if browning too quickly. Transfer to bowl with rice and toss to combine. Add cheese in small spoonfuls; mix to combine.
- Whisk eggs, milk, rosemary, nutmeg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; pour over rice mixture, mix to combine. Pour into gratin dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over gratin. Bake 25 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown and knife inserted about 1-inch from edge comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.