Brown Rice Grape Leaf Salad
- Yield: servings
- 1cup brown rice
- 3tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt, if needed
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2cup currants
- 1/2cup dry-roasted shelled pistachios or toasted pine nuts
- 1/3cup finely chopped, rinsed, and drained brined grape leaves
- 1/4cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 6cups arugula or mixed greens
- 1 1/3cups plain Greek yogurt
- -- lemon wedges
If using uncooked rice: Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the rice and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Return the water to a boil and reduce heat to a very low. Cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Transfer the rice to a bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and let cool to room temperatures.
If using packaged rice: Place the rice in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water. Cover and microwave on high 1 minute or until rice softens. Mix in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Stir the currants, nuts, chopped grape leaves, green onions, feta, cilantro, dill, and mint into the cooled rice.
In a separate large bowl, toss the arugula with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Season the greens to taste with salt. Divide the greens among 4 plates and top with the rice salad, dividing evenly. Spoon a dollop of yogurt alongside the salad; garnish with lemon wedges, and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Salad for Dinner by Jeanne Kelley, Rizzoli International Publications, Inc.