Brown Rice and Pine Nut Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
This flavorful rice casserole is perfect to serve when you're expecting company for dinner.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons finely minced fresh chives or scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (14-ounce) cans regular strength beef or chicken broth
- Saute the pine nuts in a medium-sized skillet with 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat until browned, approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. To the same skillet add and melt the remaining butter. Add the rice, bulgur, and onion. Brown for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Spoon this mixture into a 2-quart casserole. Add 3/4 cup parsley, the chives, salt, and pepper. Bring broth to a boil and stir into rice mixture. Bake uncovered in a preheated 375F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Garnish with the remaining parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Pasadena’s The California Heritage Cookbook(Pasadena, California, 1976).