- Yield: 45 to 50 servings
- 3cups unbleached bread flour
- 1/8teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4sticks butter
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1-- egg
- 2/3cup maple syrup or pancake syrup
- 1cup water
- 50whole almonds
- 1-- egg
- 2tablespoons water
- Mix the flour, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves together. Cream the butter with the brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and syrup. Add the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the almonds and reduce the heat. Simmer for 50 to 60 seconds. Drain the almonds and press between two fingers to remove the skins.
- Roll the dough 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 2 1/2- to 3-inch cutter and arrange on a 12×17-inch cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Brush with a wash of 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water and top each cookie with an almond.
- Place on the center oven rack and bake at 425F for 7 to 9 minutes or until firm. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Stig Hansen’s Cooking Danish, A Taste of Denmark (Eden, Utah, 2007).