Brown Butter and Sour Cream Cornbread
- Yield 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling often until lightly browned and nutty, about 4 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl, and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Rub an 8-inch cast-iron skillet with the oil; place in oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add eggs and sour cream to cooled butter, whisking well. Pour into dry ingredients, and stir just to combine, taking care not to overmix. Pour batter into skillet. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in skillet 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack.
—Recipe by Laraine Perri for Relish, Oct. 2011.
For a complete menu featuring Brown Butter and Sour Cream Cornbread, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.