Broiled Goat Cheese and Marmalade Canapes
- Yield: 16 pieces
- Canape Bases:
- 4-- (1/2-inch-thick) slices bread, crusts trimmed
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- -- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Broiled Goat Cheese and Marmalade Canapes:
- 1-- recipe Canape Bases
- 3ounces Bucherondin goat cheese, rind removed
- 1tablespoon marmalade (ginger, orange, lemon or your choice)
- 1/8teaspoon minced chives for garnish
- To prepare the Canape Bases. Place the oven rack in the middle position and then preheat the oven to 325F. Cut the bread slices into sixteen rounds (four per slice) using a 1 1/2-inch round cutter. Arrange the rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet; do not allow the edges to touch. Brush the tops with the olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- To prepare the Broiled Goat Cheese and Marmalade Canapes. Place the oven rack in the upper one-third and then preheat the broiler. Spread approximately 1 teaspoon of the goat cheese over each of the canapes bases, covering the tops completely. Arrange one-half of the canapes slightly spread out on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until evenly brown; do not allow to become too dark. Remove the canapes to a platter and immediately repeat the process with the remaining canapes. Turn off the broiler.
- Spoon a small amount of the marmalade in the center of each canapes and arrange on the baking sheet. Return the canapes to the warm oven. Reheat, with the door closed, for 2 to 3 minutes. Arrange the canapes on a serving platter and garnish with the chives. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chef Michael Saxer’s Cooking with a Private Chef, New Orleans to Newport(New Orleans, Louisiana, 2008).