Broccoli with Caramelized Garlic
- Yield 2 servings
Caramelized garlic and broccoli come together for a simple and soul-warming meal.
- 1 cup peeled whole garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups water, plus ice water
- 1 pinch salt, plus more to taste
- 1 head broccoli trimmed into florets, stem ends trimmed and sliced
- -- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place garlic cloves and oil in a small baking dish and bake 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, place garlic in a medium mixing bowl, reserving oil separately.
- Bring water and a pinch salt to a boil in a saucepan. Add broccoli, reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes until tender. Remove broccoli and immediately plunge into ice water. Drain and toss broccoli with garlic, adding just enough reserved oil to coat. Save any unused oil for sauteing or stir-frying another time. Season broccoli with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan, if using.