- Yield: 8 servings
"When I was a child, we always had soup on Christmas Eve. My siblings and I have continued the tradition when we get together for the holidays now. As our taste buds have changed, so have the soup choices. This is one of our favorites."
- 1cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 4cups chicken broth
- 1pound broccoli, cut in bite-size pieces
- 8ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4cups half-and-half
- 1/4teaspoon dried tarragon leaves, crushed
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1/4teaspoon white or black pepper
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the butter and when it is melted, whisk in the flour until well blended. Add the broth, whisking constantly, and increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining ingredients and return the mixture just to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the broccoli is very tender, about or 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Recipe by Cindy Sickbert, Rushville, Ind.