Broccoli Soup with Monterey Jack Cheese
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Fresh broccoli florets creamy, mild Monterey Jack cheese and give this soup great flavor.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth or fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cook broccoli in a microwave dish in 1/3 cup water, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion over medium heat until softened, 3 to 5 mintues. Combine flour and milk and stir constantly until mixed. Stir into onion. Gradually add vegetable broth and broccoli. Stir to combine. Turn heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat about 5 minutes. Transfer soup to a food processor or blender, puree, and return to pot over low heat. Add Monterey Jack, salt and pepper, and thyme, and cook until heated through and cheese is melted.