Broccoli Salad with Sun-dried Apples, Cranberries and Pecans
- Yield: 6 servings
If you don't have dried apples, you can use dried apricots or figs. Be sure to add the dressing soon after cutting the apples and combining them with the broccoli or they will turn brown.
- Broccoli Salad:
- Water and ice
- 2heads broccoli cut into small florets (5 cups)
- 2 unpeeled large apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1cup chopped sun-dried apples
- 1/2cup dried cranberries
- 3/4cup toasted pecan halves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, optional
- Creamy Almond Butter Dressing:
- 1/4cup almond, cashew or smooth peanut butter
- 1/4cup hot water
- 2tablespoons honey
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch cayenne pepper
- To make salad: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and cook about 30 seconds until they just turn bright green; they will still be very crisp.
- Immediately drain and put broccoli into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain broccoli and place in the bowl. Add the apples, cranberries and lemon juice, if using to keep apples from browning.
- To make the dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a whisk or immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Combine dressing and broccoli mixture well. Serve immediately.
NOTE: To toast nuts, place them on a baking pan in a 375F oven 6 to 8 minutes until lightly browned and aromatic.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 391
- Fat 21g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 335mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugars 34g
- Protein 7g