Broccoli Rabe Pasta
- Yield 10 servings
Bitterly delicious, the broccoli rabe cooks in the same pot as the pasta in this surprisingly easy dish.
- 1 pound cavatelli or orecchiette pasta (a small pasta shape to capture the sauce)
- 1 pound broccoli rabe (sometimes called rapini), heavy stems removed, remaining stems and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Add broccoli rabe 5 minutes before the end of cooking time. Stir well. Drain, reserving a cup of pasta water.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in the same pan. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes and salt and sauté until garlic becomes golden.
- Turn off heat and stir in pasta mixture. Toss until the pasta and rabe are coated with oil. Add reserved pasta water, a little at a time, to help loosen and coat the mixture. Sprinkle cheese over the top and toss.