- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
"A friend shared this recipe with me over twenty years ago. It is a favorite of my family. We use it often during the Thanksgiving holiday, Christmas season, and for family picnics and reunions."
- 1 1/2cups water
- 6tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) package chicken-flavored stuffing mix
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli spears, thawed and drained
- 2teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4cup 2% reduced fat milk milk
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 1cup shredded Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-x-9-inch baking dish.
- Combine water and 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in stuffing mix and let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon stuffing around the edge of baking dish, leaving a well in the center. Arrange broccoli spears in well.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the bouillon.
- Add milk gradually and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in cream cheese and salt, mixing until smooth. Stir in onion. Pour sauce over broccoli. Sprinkle with Cheddar and paprika.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer.
Recipe by Linda Shires, Caldwell, W.V.