Broccoli, Cheddar and Roast Pepper Stuffed Potatoes
- Yield 6 servings
Once your potatoes are baked, this recipe is a snap to make.
- 3 large russet potatoes, well washed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil plus more for rubbing potatoes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for sprinkling potatoes, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup low-fat or fat-free sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped drained canned roasted red peppers
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place potatoes in oven as is or coat with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt, if desired. Bake 50 minutes until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and broccoli florets and saute 5 minutes until tender, but still al dente. Place in a bowl.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out potato flesh into bowl with broccoli mixture leaving six potato shells with 1/2-inch-thick walls.
- Add 1/2 cup cheese, sour cream, red peppers, cayenne, 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Combine the mixture gently just until mixed. Use to fill the potato shells, mounding the mixture in the shells. Place on a baking pan with sides and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake stuffed potatoes in a 375F oven 10 to 12 minutes until heated through, cheese melts and surface is golden brown.