Broccoli, Cheddar and Mushroom Melt
- Yield: 2 servings
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2medium onion, chopped
- 4 to 5cups broccoli florets (1 large stalk)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1/2teaspoon oregano
- 1/4teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2large pita breads split so they look like clamshells or 1 (12-inch-length) baguette or Italian bread halved down the center
- 6ounces Cheddar or mozzarella cheese or a combination of the two
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute 1 minute. Add the broccoli florets and continue sauteing 3 to 4 minutes until the broccoli is almost tender, adding 1 tablespoon water to the pan if necessary. Add the garlic, mushrooms, oregano and chili flakes; saute another 1 minute. Remove from the range and cool for a moment.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Divide the vegetable mixture, placing it between the two parts of the pita breads. Close top of breads and top with the cheese. Or use the filling to cover each half of the baguette and top halves with cheese. Bake on a baking sheet 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 643
- Fat 35g
- Cholesterol 89mg
- Sodium 1413mg
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Protein 34g