Broccoli, Cheddar and Mushroom Melt
- Yield 2 servings
Serve with cheesy vegetable sandwich with a field green salad or bowl of soup and good glass of chardonnay.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 cups broccoli florets (1 large stalk)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 large pita breads split so they look like clamshells or 1 (12-inch-length) baguette or Italian bread halved down the center
- 6 ounces Cheddar or mozzarella cheese or a combination of the two
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute 1 minute. Add the broccoli florets and continue sauteing 3 to 4 minutes until the broccoli is almost tender, adding 1 tablespoon water to the pan if necessary. Add the garlic, mushrooms, oregano and chili flakes; saute another 1 minute. Remove from the range and cool for a moment.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Divide the vegetable mixture, placing it between the two parts of the pita breads. Close top of breads and top with the cheese. Or use the filling to cover each half of the baguette and top halves with cheese. Bake on a baking sheet 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.