Broccoli Casserole with Cheddar Cheese
- Yield 8 servings
Healthy broccoli stars in this tasty side dish.
The casserole may be refrigerated overnight. Place in a cold oven to bake and bake for about 35 minutes or until broccoli is done.
- 4 -- (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli spears, thawed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut about an inch off the end of the broccoli spears and discard. In a saucepan, stir together the flour and milk, stirring constantly over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Whisk in the dry mustard, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Place the broccoli in the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Spoon the cheese sauce to cover the broccoli as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over top of casserole. Bake for 25 minutes or until the broccoli sprears are tender when pierced with the tip of a small knife.