Broccoli and Red Bell Pepper Soba
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2packages (8.8 ounces each) soba noodles
- 3/4cup water
- 4cups small broccoli flowerets
- 1 1/2cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1/4cup toasted sesame oil
- 1large red bell pepper, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4cup soy sauce
- 1tablespoon mirin, optional
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2cup thinly sliced green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Cook the soba noodles according to the package’s instructions. Transfer the soba to a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, place the water in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and carrots and cook until all of the liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, approximately 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, and stir well. Add the red bell pepper and garlic, and cook until all of the veggies are just tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Place 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, 1/4 cup water, the soy sauce, the mirin, if using, lime juice, and crushed red pepper flakes in a small bowl and whisk well. Add half of this mixture to the soba noodles and toss well. Add the remaining half to the sauté pan with the vegetables and stir well.
- To serve, place a portion of the soba noodles in a serving bowl. Top with some vegetables and garnish with the green onions, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
• Try replacing the broccoli with an equal quantity of cauliflower.
• Replace the carrots and red bell pepper with mushrooms, zucchini, yellow bell pepper, or summer squash.
From the book The 30-Minute Vegan’s Taste of the East by Mark Reinfeld and Jennifer Murray. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2010.