Broccoli and Cheese Strudel
- Yield 8 servings
A cheesy broccoli filling encased in a beautiful golden crust.
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli or spinach
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 -- eggs
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Pepper to taste
- 10 -- frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rinse the broccoli and pat dry; trim and discard the stem ends. Split the stalks and chop the stems and florets.
- Place the broccoli in the boiling water in a large saucepan. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain well.
- Saute the onion in 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Add the chopped broccoli. Saute for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the cheese, broccoli mixture, parsley, dill, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Line the inside of a 9-inch springform pan with 6 of the pastry sheets, overlapping the edges and brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Pour the broccoli mixture into the pan. Fold the overlapping edges of the pastry sheets over the top of the mixture.
- Cut four 9-inch circles from the remaining 4 phyllo sheets with scissors. Brush each circle with melted butter, then layer over the top of the mixture. Slice through the pastry circles to make 8 wedges. Pour any remaining melted butter over the top.
- Place the springform pan on a larger pan to catch the drippings. Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until the crust is puffy and golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Note: May substitute three 10-ounce packages frozen broccoli for the fresh broccoli.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Huntsville’s Sweet Home Alabama (Huntsville, Al., 1995).