Broccoli and Cheese Quiche
- Yield: 6 servings
Perfect for making ahead and freezing until needed.
- 1teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1cup chopped onions
- 1small garlic clove, minced
- 2tablespoons chopped basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 2cups small broccoli florets
- 2tablespoons water
- 1 frozen pie shell, thawed
- 3/4cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/2cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1medium tomato, cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat; add oil.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, basil and black pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover bowl and microwave on high 21/2 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain well and transfer broccoli to pie shell. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan evenly over broccoli.
- Combine eggs whites, whole egg and milk; whisk until well blended. Stir in onion mixture. Pour over broccoli. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
—Recipe by Mary J. Lewis, Eatonton, Ga.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 210
- Fat 12g
- Sodium 360mg
- Carbohydrate 17g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 10g