Broccoli and Caramelized Onions with Fettucine
- Yield 4 servings
Crisp broccoli is paired with the sweet and earthy flavor of caramelized onions.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large head broccoli cut into small florets (3 cups)
- 1 pound fettuccine or pasta of choice, cooked according to directions and drained
- 1/4 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes*
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add onions and let them cook undisturbed until they begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. When the onions begin to brown, flip them over and sprinkle them with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon water to prevent sticking and to release the onions’ natural sugars. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and immediately remove the onion mixture from pan; set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli florets and saute, adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon water to the pan to let the broccoli cook and soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the caramelized onion mixture, cooked pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, tamari or soy sauce and black pepper to the broccoli. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat for about 2 minutes until mixture is heated through. Serve into individual serving plates and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese. Garnish each plate with a lemon wedge or two to be squeezed over all.