Broccoli and Caramelized Onion Quiche
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1cup low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2cup 2-percent milk
- 1/4cup fat-free sour cream
- 3large egg whites
- 2large eggs
- 1/2cup (2-ounces) shredded low-fat pepper jack cheese
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- Water, as needed, plus 1/4 cup
- 1cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1 frozen pre-made 9-inch pie shell, thawed
- Whisk together evaporated milk, 2 percent milk, sour cream, egg whites and eggs in a nonreactive large bowl. Stir in cheese, basil and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute onions 8 to 10 minutes until well browned, sprinkling with a bit of water to prevent sticking, if needed. Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water. Continue to cook 3 minutes until broccoli is slightly tender and onions heavily caramelized. Most of the water will evaporate. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour egg mixture into pie shell. Place pie pan on a baking sheet in case quiche filling cooks over top of crust. Bake uncovered in center of oven 35 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 341
- Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 413mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 17g