- 1/2head broccoli cut into florets (3 cups)
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4cup taini paste*
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 1/2cup drained canned black beans, well-rinsed and drained
- 1tablespoon minced cilantro, optional
- Steam florets over boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes; they should remain crisp. Alternatively, place in a microwave-safe dish with 1/2-inch water, cover lightly and cook on high (100 percent) power 2 minutes. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Place 1 cup cooked broccoli in food processor fitted with the metal blade; reserve the rest.
- Add all ingredients except the reserved broccoli, black beans and cilantro; process for 20 to 30 seconds or until fairly smooth but still showing some small pieces.
- Add the reserved broccoli florets, saving a few for garnish, and the black beans. Process using quick on-off pulses until beans and broccoli are incorporated and form a coarse paste. Add cilantro, if using, and pulse to incorporate. Place in serving bowl and garnish with remaining broccoli florets.
*Tahini or sesame seed paste is available in most supermarkets in the ethnic foods section as well as in all natural food stores and Middle Eastern markets.
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 224
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol .69mg
- Sodium 682mg
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Protein 13g