Broccoli and Black Bean Hummus
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
The addition of broccoli makes this dip more healthful.
- 1/2 head broccoli cut into florets (3 cups)
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup taini paste*
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 1/2 cup drained canned black beans, well-rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro, optional
- Steam florets over boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes; they should remain crisp. Alternatively, place in a microwave-safe dish with 1/2-inch water, cover lightly and cook on high (100 percent) power 2 minutes. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Place 1 cup cooked broccoli in food processor fitted with the metal blade; reserve the rest.
- Add all ingredients except the reserved broccoli, black beans and cilantro; process for 20 to 30 seconds or until fairly smooth but still showing some small pieces.
- Add the reserved broccoli florets, saving a few for garnish, and the black beans. Process using quick on-off pulses until beans and broccoli are incorporated and form a coarse paste. Add cilantro, if using, and pulse to incorporate. Place in serving bowl and garnish with remaining broccoli florets.