Brilliant Mushroom Gravy
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 15 mins
This smart take on the classic gravy recipe is sure to be a perfect compliment to any fall or winter dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound mushrooms
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced or crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable or mushroom broth if preferred)**
- -- Freshly ground black pepper(optional)
- Clean the mushrooms and, if the stems are firm and tight, leave them on. If they are soft and beginning to separate, remove them. Chop the mushrooms into very small pieces or thin slices.
- Place a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and salt, and sauté for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are reduced in size and they have expressed some juices. Stir in the garlic. Add the broth, and heat until it is hot but not boiling.
- Place the flour in a small bowl, and ladle in enough broth to dissolve the flour (approximately 3/4 cup). Use a small whisk to beat this mixture until smooth, then pour it back into the hot broth. Whisk the broth as you pour. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired. (Keep this in a tightly lidded jar in the refrigerator and use as needed over the period of a week. You can also freeze it.) Makes 2 cups.
**There are some very good mushroom broths available commercially, packed in quart boxes.
Recipe by Mollie Katzen.