Brilliant Chili Topped with Walnuts
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 small red or yellow bell pepper, minced
- 2 cans red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 28-ounce can chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat olive oil in large, deep skillet. Add onion and sauté for a minute or two over medium heat. Add carrot, salt, and spices, and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Crumble in the ground turkey breast, and sprinkle in the minced bell pepper. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the turkey breast is cooked through and becomes white and opaque.
- Add the beans and tomatoes, and stir gently so as not to break the beans. Cook, partly covered, over medium-low heat for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve hot, topped with a sprinkling of walnuts and parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Mollie Katzen.