Brie with California Walnuts and Cranberries
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
This potent version of cranberry sauce contrasts well with the creaminess of Brie cheese. It's also great with turkey, duck or ham.
- 1 (12-ounce) whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon finely minced orange zest
- Brie and crackers or baguette, thinly sliced and toasted, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, orange juice, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the cranberries have burst and the sauce begins to thicken, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the walnuts, brandy and orange zest.
- Serve spoonfuls of the cranberry sauce on thin slices of brie atop crisp crackers, or thin slices of toasted baguette. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
Recipe courtesy of Fiesta Market and Chef Sherri Thrower.