Brendan’s Onion Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
A lighter version of French Onion Soup, this soup uses chicken broth in place of the traditional beef consommé.
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3cups thinly sliced Vidalia or sweet onions (2 large onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup white wine
- 1/4teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 6slices baguette
- 1/2cup shredded Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until very soft and golden, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, stirring to coat thoroughly. Add broth, wine and thyme; cover and simmer about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Top baguette slices with cheese and broil until melted. Ladle soup into bowls and top with baguette slices.
—Recipe by Donna Shields