- Yield 4 servings
Served in taquerias and gas stations throughout the Texas Hill Country, the breakfast taco is a beloved tradition. Breakfast tacos made with scrambled eggs are the perfect outlet for any ingredients that you might have on hand-sauteed mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes or nopalitos (diced cactus paddles). You can also add any shredded cheese, leftover meat (slices of smoked sausage are a favorite) or chopped fresh herbs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, such as Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Cotija or queso fresco
- 4 flour tortillas
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat.
- Place eggs, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a medium bowl and beat lightly with a fork.
- Place green onions in pan and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Pour in eggs and cilantro and use a spatula to push the edges of the eggs toward the center of the pan, until no liquid remains. Just before eggs are set, fold in cheese.
- Meanwhile, heat tortillas. Divide eggs evenly among tortillas and serve with your favorite salsa, another dash of hot sauce, and chopped tomatoes, if desired.
Recipe by Chef Paula Disbrowe