Breakfast Broccoli Casserole
- Yield 12 servings
A low-calorie make-ahead breakfast dish.
If you prepare the casserole in a glass dish, place in a cold oven, then turn the oven on and add 10 or 15-mintes longer to the baking time.
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange the bread along the bottom of a 3-quart oblong casserole dish or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, overlapping the slices slightly.
- In a small skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the bacon, green onions and broccoli over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Spread on top of the bread.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the eggs, egg whites, skim milk and mustard; set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the yogurt, Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, basil, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Pour into the egg mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour over the bread and press the bread down to soak up the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake for 1 hour, or until browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.