Breakfast Bake with Spanish Rice
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
The Spanish sauce is the star of this make-ahead breakfast bake.
The sauce can be used with other dishes. Be creative and add veggies of your choice to the bake.
- Spanish Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 -- green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 2 -- (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Breakfast Bake:
- 12 slices white or wheat bread
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- -- Spanish Sauce
- To prepare the sauce: In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the garlic, onion, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, oregano, picnate sauce, and ketchup. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes. Store in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare the Breakfast Bake: Trim the crust off the slices of bread and throw away. Coat a 3-quart oblong baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom of the dish with six slices of bread. Sprinkle cheese over bread layer. Top with remaining six slices of bread.
- In a large bowl, blend together the eggs, egg whites, milk, yogurt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until well mixed. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the layered bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or leave out at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until puffed up, lightly browned, and cooked inside.