Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
- Yield 10 servings
An incredible low-fat version of a Southern delight.
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf French bread
- 1 (16-ounce) can light sliced peached, drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon butter extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Rum Sauce (recipe follows)
- Rum Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Break bread into 3-inch pieces and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Add sliced peaches and raisins to bread, mixing gently.
- In a bowl, combine eggs and egg whites with sugar, mixing well. Add skim milk, evaporated milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter, coconut, and vanilla extracts, blending well. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and press with a fork so it will soak up liquid.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until set.
- To prepare the sauce: In a small saucepan, melt margarine and add flour and sugar, mixing well. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture comes to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in rum extract.