Bread Pudding with Drunken Sauce
- Yield 12 servings
Who could resist this delicious dessert?
- 6 -- jumbo croissants, torn into pieces
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 -- eggs
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 -- apples, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup rum, bourbon or amaretto
- Combine the croissants, milk and cream in a large mixer bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cream 3 eggs, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add to the moistened croissants; mix well. Fold in the raisins and apples. Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking pan. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter over the top. Bake at 325F for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Combine 1 egg, 1/2 cup butter and confectioners' sugar in the top of a double boiler. Cook until thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the rum. Serve over the bread pudding.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Phoenix’s Reflections Under the Sun (the Junior League of Phoenix Inc., Phoenix, Az., 1999).