Bread Pudding Florentine
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 50 mins
A savory pudding with spinach and cheese.
An outstanding brunch recipe that is one of my very favorites. It can be made the night before and popped in the oven to cook in the morning.
- 5 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 -- (16-ounce) loaf day old French bread, cut into 16 slices, divided
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 2 -- (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and egg whites with milk, mustard, and salt and pepper; set aside.
- Place half the bread slices in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. In a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté mushrooms, garlic and onion until tender. Add spinach and flour, stirring to mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture over bread. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining bread. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Pour egg mixture over casserole and refrigerate two hours or overnight. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Recipe by Holly Clegg. Reprinted with permission from The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook (Running Press, 2006). Visit http://www.HollyClegg.com for ordering information.