Bread and Butter Pickles
- Yield 12 cups
Preserve an old-time favorite with this pickle recipe that's perfect for gift-giving.
- Salted ice water
- 4 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 6 white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 3 cups white vinegar
- Soak cucumbers, onions and garlic for 3 hours in ice water mixed with salt. In enamel roaster pan, bring remaining ingredients to boil. After solution boils, place drained cucumbers, onions and garlic in solution and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender. Transfer pickles to sterilized canning jars and cover with liquid. Wipe lip of jar clean and seal with sterilzed lids.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Les Passees’ Well Seasoned A Southern Classic (Les Passees, Inc., Memphis, Tenn., 1982).