Bread and Butter Pickles
- Yield: 12 cups
- Salted ice water
- 4cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 6 white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/3cup salt
- 3cups sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2teaspoons celery seed
- 2tablespoons dry mustard
- 3cups white vinegar
- Soak cucumbers, onions and garlic for 3 hours in ice water mixed with salt. In enamel roaster pan, bring remaining ingredients to boil. After solution boils, place drained cucumbers, onions and garlic in solution and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender. Transfer pickles to sterilized canning jars and cover with liquid. Wipe lip of jar clean and seal with sterilzed lids.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Les Passees’ Well Seasoned A Southern Classic (Les Passees, Inc., Memphis, Tenn., 1982).