Bread and Butter Bread Pudding
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1cup heavy cream
- 1cup milk
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4cup cream sherry
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8slices Challah bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1tablespoon honey
- powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine vanilla bean, cream, milk and salt and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Place raisins and sherry in a small saucepan. Add enough water to cover raisins. Bring to a boil and simmer until raisins are plumped and have absorbed all the liquid. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a large baking dish. Butter bread slices and cut into halves. Lay bread, overlapping edges, in prepared pan.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar. Remove vanilla bean from cream mixture, then slowly pour liquid into egg mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Scatter raisins over bread. Pour custard mixture over bread, soaking slices thoroughly.
- Place dish in a larger baking pan. Transfer to oven rack. Pour boiling water into larger pan. Bake about 45 minutes, until custard is set and bread is golden brown.
- Warm honey in a small saucepan until it thins. Brush over top of cooked pudding, then sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Gillian Kite’s Inn Food: Seasonal Breakfasts in the Wine Country (Meadowlark Publishing).